The Dahlias didn’t put on their usual show last fall.
Perhaps it was the hot summer.
More likely it’s the shade created by the neighbor’s mulberry tree.
I don’t want the mulberry tree to go away.
It takes me back to my childhood.
On our way to church in late spring
Daddy would stop along a county road
We’d all jump out and start picking and eating mulberries.
For those of you who don’t know mulberries, they stain.
So there we would be in our Sunday best.
Standing in a ditch
Mother was fairly laid back about it all.
Thanks for that example, Mom.
Back to Dahlias.
So if I want Dahlias, I’m going to have to move them.
I knew this last fall
When Elliott was home he suggested moving them to the NE corner of the garden house.
But that space was full of plants.
So first I moved the Digitalis – Foxglove to the other side of the garden house.
Then I dumped lots of compost to settle in for the winter.
Earlier this spring I moved the Aloha roses to their new home across the path.
So, yesterday was moving day.
I decided to round the corner, too.
That meant digging up the Butterfly Bush.
I think it’s moving to Megan’s – if she’ll have it.
Next came digging up the dozen or so Dahlias that survived.
I’ve ordered more – lots more.
Emory Paul – that big glorious dinner plate Dahlia.
Along with Kevin Floodlight – a yellow favorite
Fleurel which is white.
Lilac Time, and the bi-colors of Avignon and Mom’s Special.
Since the ones I dug are of unknown lineage
And the new ones are all complimentary in color.
I just mixed them together.
Except for Emory Paul which creates a backdrop against the garden house.
There is no great trick to planting them.
Bury them about 6 – 8 ” deep like a Daffodil.
You can usually tell which end is up by the blunt end of the old stem.
It will take them a bit to come up
So place a marker by each one you plant.
Dahlias have a growth habit that is well…wild.
To say they need staking is an understatement.
They need staking and caging and anything else you can dream up.
Several years ago I came up with a system that works pretty well.
I use the triangular wire tomato cages you can find at garden centers.
I place them side by side
Alternating them to form a box.
Cover the entire area with cages.
Then stabilize them by connecting them with cable ties.
Now because these are tall heavy blooms
I go one step further.
Lace a 4′ piece of rebar through one side of each cage.
Are you beginning to get the picture!
Now we wait.
Gardening does teach you patience.
Fall will bring amazing results.
Enjoy the week.
P.S. Here’s what’s showing off this week.