You may recall that earlier this spring I made another attempt at figuring out my patio pots.
Years of so so results had left me not at all excited about container gardening.
I’m pleased to report I think I’ve figured it out.
My theory was all wrong.
For years I have planted lots
And I mean lots of small bedding plants.
Petunias, marigolds, petunias…
I always picked a variety in case it was a bad year for a particular plant.
It had worked lots of places that I had lived and gardened.
But for some reason the theory was all wrong here.
I think it’s because the pots are so big
And I couldn’t put anything tall like a topiary basket
in the middle since it would block the view from the breakfast room.
So this year I went for fewer bigger plants.
I mean bigger in every sense of the word.
The plants were bigger when I started
and their grown habit is bigger in the end.
The center is deep red Dipladenia.
Though the one that’s in the sun all day fades a bit.
Both pots had Nierembergia that wintered over.
To that I added golden Lantana
and blue Plumbago
Those are the “big” plants.
I did fill in with Gomphrena
Impatients on the shady side
and even a few Petunias.
Initially I left last winter’s lettuce.
Bit by bit it was pulled up and the new plants allowed to fill in.
It was a very good idea.
I never had huge holes
Which made for a smooth transition.
Now chances are that because I have so many plants
that at maturity are big enough to fill the pots on their own.
That they will get way to big in the next month or so.
I’ve come up with what is, for me, a novel solution.
You may realize by now that I have a hard time reigning things in.
So as the Lantana heads across the steps to join hands with its sister in the pot on the other side.
I’m thinking it’s ok to whiddle on it a bit.
Enjoy the week.